Egypt & Austria XII: Central Europe, Egypt and the Orient: The Current Research (Zagreb, Croatia, 2018)
Egypt and the Orient: The Current Research
The 12th Egypt and Austria conference was organized by the “Egypt and Austria” Society and the Croatian Studies of the University of Zagreb. The whole venue took place in the Croatian Institute of History (Opatička 10, Zagreb) from Monday 17th to Saturday 22nd September 2018. The main theme of the conference was the current research related to the interactions between Egypt and the states of the former Habsburg Monarchy and the Ottoman Empire up to the middle of the 20th century. During the four working days, thirty-nine participants from eleven countries gave thirty-eight papers dealing with various topics which cover a time span from the first half of the 16th century to the middle of the 20th century.
Presented paper: Epidemics Between Europe and Egypt in a Rediscovered Work of Giuseppe Nizzoli
Carlo Rindi Nuzzolo, Irene Guidotti
During the first half of the 19th Century, pandemics struck Europe and Africa. In this climate of uncertainty, European powers and Kingdoms - including the Austrian Empire - endeavoured to look for prevention and health advice to contain the disease. This paper presented how Giuseppe Nizzoli, chancellor of the Austrian Consulate in Egypt, contributed to spread awareness on such an important topic by recalling his own experiences in Cairo and Alexandria. The discussion included the analysis of a hitherto unknown work of the Chancellor, recently rediscovered by the authors during the investigation for the Nizzoli Project.
The Nizzoli Project
- European History (excl. British, Classical Greek and Roman)
- History and Archaeology not elsewhere classified
- Historical Archaeology (incl. Industrial Archaeology)
- Archaeology not elsewhere classified
- Archaeology of Europe, the Mediterranean and the Levant
- Humanities and Social Sciences Curriculum and Pedagogy (excl. Economics, Business and Management)
- Studies in Human Society not elsewhere classified
- Professional Writing
- Studies in the Creative Arts and Writing not elsewhere classified