Submission to the Senate Parliamentary inquiry into a better family law system to support and protect those affected by family violence
This Parliamentary Inquiry represents an important opportunity to address the impacts of the family law system on families when family violence is involved. It offers a critical opportunity to improve the way the system supports and responds to those affected by family violence.
Our submission is structured into five sections:
1. Monash Gender and Family Violence Research Program Overview
2. Family Law System and ensuring the safety of those affected by family violence (ToR 1)
3. Arrangements in Family Courts (ToR 3)
4. Capacity of Family Law Professionals in the context of family violence responses (ToR 5)
5. A national approach to the administration and enforcement of intervention orders for personal protection (ToR 6)
Relevant recommendations are included throughout; a summary of recommendations and a list of relevant references are included at the conclusion of the submission.